Thursday, March 21, 2013

Sewing Project: 1940's "Swing" Dress

     A few weeks ago a friend told me about a local "sock hop" dance. (It's this Saturday!!!) I've never been to one before, but hey, there's dressing up and dancing involved! Score! So of course I needed to make a new dress, because well obviously!


     I got this pattern from Sense and Sensibility Patterns a year or two ago. I made two dresses from it and neither turned out right. They were too big in some places and too small in others. I put the pattern away for a while, hoping that absence would make the heart grow fonder.
     ...Until I heard about the sock hop! I decided to give it another go. This time, instead of getting caught up in making the dress to fit a predetermined size, I measured myself (what a concept!) and found that I was actually two different "sizes" in two different places. So I traced out and made a custom master pattern for my own personal use (How exclusive!), and with my fingers crossed, began to sew. 


     I found this adorable vintage-ey cotton print at JoAnn's. It's more of a turquoise than the picture gives it credit for. The whole time I sewed the dress I had mental fingers crossed (not literal fingers, because they were busy holding onto the fabric for dear life), especially while I was sewing the invisible zipper. (I only recently realized that I have an actual zipper foot that I didn't use. >_< Well, I must be pretty good! :o)


     So despite a few small issues along the way, the dress was a success! And I am so thankful! I can't wait to get all dolled up on Saturday! It'll be so fun! :)

Cheers!
Hanneli

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts are moderated, so be patient if it doesn't show up at first. Thanks for sharing! :)