About

Thursday, November 14, 2013

We're All Drivers Here

Hey everyone! I've returned from my hiatus. Life has been crazy and full of fun! And I'll start back into my blogging activities by sharing a few thoughts with you all.


I've realized that life is a lot like driving on a highway. I'm living in the Nashville area right now, and while this here is the road I live on, I take the interstate into town when I go to work. There are a lot of cars, all going very fast, and if you don't pay attention to what you're doing, you will most likely end up in an accident. Just the other day my boss was stuck in traffic for 3 hours due to one person's mistake.

One day as I drove to work, my body and a 2,654-pound hunk of metal hurtling across the pavement at 70 miles an hour, I thought for a moment what it'd be like to be driving the opposite direction on a five-lane interstate. What if, instead of staying on my side of the road, I chose to go over to the other side, and tried to get to work driving 70 mph on the wrong side? I wouldn't last long; probably less than a minute. Maybe, with some expert bobbing and weaving, about two minutes. I can't just speed headlong into opposing traffic. The multiple lanes of scores of speeding cars would literally kill me and most likely someone else. I'd never make it to work. I'd never make it back home.

The Christian life is a lot like driving on the wrong side of the road on an interstate. Only, we are not going the wrong way; it is the world who is going the wrong way. We have a set destination, a set route, in mind. Out GPS, the Bible, tells us to go this way, so we do it. However, the rest of the world is opposing traffic. Millions and millions of people in their multi-ton hunks of metal are careening toward us at 70 and 80 and 90 miles per hour. They are going the wrong way. So we try to tell them, try to get them to turn around, show them where they need to go. Some listen, and turn around. But the majority grow angry, use nasty words and gestures, tell us we are crazy, that we are going the wrong way.

The Christian life is dangerous. You will get pummeled and beaten and smashed. But stay on course. You will not wreck. You are going in the right direction, and with God's help you will reach your destination unscathed. Remember that today.

Hanneli

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts are moderated, so be patient if it doesn't show up at first. Thanks for sharing! :)