About

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Word of the Week: Supercilious!

I had never heard of this word in my life. Then I came across it as I was reading Below Stairs (click for the review). In the book, Margaret refers to a cat as "supercilious". After looking it up, I know why!

Supercilious
adj. (soo-per-SILL-ee-us)

Supercilious means acting haughty and proud as a result of seeing yourself better than others.
This explains why Margaret called the cat supercilious.

All cats are supercilious.
That supercilious woman did not tip her waitress.
Bullies often feel supercilious.

I'm going to have to be very creative to find a way to use this word. If you do use it, be prepared to explain what it means! Honestly, has anyone ever heard this word? I'd be interested to know how! Let me know in the comments below. Tune in Thursday for a review of The Book Thief (finally!).

Have a splendid day! And don't be supercilious!

Hanneli


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts are moderated, so be patient if it doesn't show up at first. Thanks for sharing! :)